saharafoley

saharafoley

My 5 * #bookreview of The IX (The IX Series Book 1) by Andrew P. Weston

— feeling amazing
The IX - Andrew P. Weston

First off, I have to say this book has been sitting on my kindle for over  1 1/2 years.  I’m not sure why I bought it, but I’m glad I did.  Since I started publishing my late husband’s stories, I’ve read nothing but indie books for the past three years.  Don’t get me wrong, I love indie books and their authors, but I miss the feeling of reading a professionally published book.  So  when I started reading this little gem, my reading persona gave a big sigh of relief.  Yes, I still found a few proofreading errors, but they seem to be popping up everywhere anymore.

This is a long book, so be prepared to spend some time devoted to it.  And it’s not a fast-paced story, but there were times when I couldn’t read fast enough.  I loved the premise of the story, bringing different cultures and times from Earth to Arden to save the people and the planet from the Horde.  I could tell this was written by a military man as there is a lot of military jargon and strategies throughout the book.

I became attached to quite a few of the characters, but like all war, people die.  So, this book is laced with emotions.  Especially the Epilogue, which brought tears to my eyes.  Now I read some 1 star reviews that felt the Native American aspect wasn’t used to it’s full advantage, or not needed at all.  I didn’t feel that way.  For me, it meshed nicely with all the other cultures that were trying to adapt to an extremely violent environment.  I also have a soft spot for the Native American culture, so I very much enjoyed their inclusion.

My complaint about the book, were the nature of the transmuted Horde.  Weston’s explanations were sometimes confusing, but not enough to mar my enjoyment of this book.

If you love alternate history, military stories, and sci-fi, you’ll want to read this book.  This is book one in the series, but this ended so well, with no loose ends, I don’t feel compelled to read the next book.  I give it my 5 feathers.